Nuclear Engineering Seibersdorf GmbH (NES) as the operator of a series of facilities for which radiation protection approvals are necessary, assumes responsibility for radiation safety as well as compliance with existing statutory requirements and official regulations. In order to sufficiently fulfil this responsibility, the following aspects must be met/ensured:
- Safe handling of radioactive substances and radiation sources
- Compliance with the ALARA (As low as reasonably achievable) principle of radiation protection for all employees
- Minimizing the likelihood of contamination in the facilities
- Minimizing the likelihood of release of radioactive material into the environment
Monitoring and control of the fulfilment of these points in the NES is carried out unter the responsibility of the radiation protection officers through the radiation protection staff office in cooperation with the Operational Safety unit (NB).
The following points therefore represent the main tasks of the radiation protection at NES:
- Personnel monitoring
- Employee protection
- Workplace monitoring
- Emission monitoring
- Immission monitoring
- Radiation monitoring of plant design
- Processing of official procedures
- Emergency response planning and disaster-relief team
The staff office "Arbeitssicherheit, Umwelt- und Qualitätsmanagement" is repsonsible for conventional occupational safety. The accredited testing laboratory No. 314 is also located in the NB business unit.