Nuclear Engineering Seibersdorf GmbH (NES) as the operator of a series of facilities for which radiation protection approvals are necessary, assumes responsibility for radiation safety as well as compliance with existing statutory requirements and official regulations. In order to sufficiently fulfil this responsibility, the following aspects must be met/ensured:
- Safe handling of radioactive substances and radiation sources
- Compliance with the ALARA (As low as reasonably achievable) principle of radiation protection for all employees
- Minimizing the likelihood of contamination in the facilities
- Minimizing the likelihood of release of radioactive material into the environment
Monitoring and control of the fulfilment of these points in the NES is carried out by the Operational Safety division (NB), whose head is also the radiation protection officer of the NES. In addition, NB is also responsible for all aspects of conventional occupational safety.
The following points therefore represent the main tasks of the NB division:
- Personnel monitoring
- Employee protection
- Workplace monitoring
- Emission monitoring
- Immission monitoring
- Radiation monitoring of plant design
- Processing of official procedures
- Emergency response planning and disaster-relief team
The accredited testing facility No. 314 is also located in the NB business area.